Monday, June 04, 2007

It's always the crack!

When I first heard about it, I thought that the report of the woman who drove her car into a crowd of people in Washington, DC was a bit odd. I mean how does one manage to actually do something like that? Well the answer has come out. The Washington Post quotes the DC police chief saying that the woman was "smoking crack all day long." And we all know that crack sends a person toward the worst possible decisions.



Crack was the drug of the eighties and early nineties and it creates pretty strong images, but we tend to think of it as a somewhat passe drug replaced my more fashionable alternatives like meth or ecstasy. So it's always slightly amusing to me to be reminded that people still do crack, and then act like crack heads.



Most of what I know about crack abuse comes from comedians Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle, and a wave of dreary documentaries meant to scare use straight. Given the sources of my data and my cynical turn of mind, crack has become for me the explanatory joke for bad choices:



Why did you date that jerk? Must have been the crack.



Why did you take that job? Must have been the crack.




Why did you move to the unhappy valley?
Must have been the crack.



Why did you drive your car through 35 people? The crack.



I admit I laughed when I heard that the woman was cracked up, I mean who does crack anymore? But of course people do and the drug is still around, still dangerous and still has the potential to destroy lives and communities. Maybe it's not that funny.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: